Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: VOT matching center channel? Anyone selling?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by similost:
    I've got the motiograph gear at some guy's place to have it looked at and repaired if needed. I've got the power supply, the pre amp, and the amp. I really wished I would get it back soon, I'd like to hear it all hooked up...

    You might be shocked how little you can get into something like this... if you look hard and dilligently.. Allan can attest to that with his **** of a great simplex score.. but I got him beat way hands down for cheapenss forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, Just remember who turned you onto that score!....

  2. #12
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve Mac - I honestly don't remember if they are 811s or 511s. I have had them for some time, and can't recall... and I can't get to them easily at the moment. I have them (and everything else) piled up in my pool table room while I finish re-doing the theater...

    analog addict - I might be interested, I guess it depends on the price. I was really hoping to find someone more in my area (Georgia/Florida/Carolinas - maybe farther if the price was right and I could make a weekend trip -DC is pretty far though...) as shipping on these big speakers can't be cheap....

  3. #13
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    CC- The horns pictured in your HT thread are 511s.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    511s...darn I should be able to spot these more easily...thanks bfish.

    CC:...I would say that the cabinet similost has looks beautiful and seems perfect for what you are looking for. I understand the distance problem though. But it's a mid 50s cab...an 810 with the wings... forums That is downright cool...

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Note that 810s either have the same or 'close enough' to the same horn as the parallel wall 816, making them an easy 'clone' since the rest of the cab is basically an 825.

    GM

  6. #16
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still looking for another A7 VOTT speaker for my theater. I may have found another forum member who is willing to split a pair with me, so if anyone is selling a pair, please let me know that too....

    I am keeping an eye on Ebay and Craigslist... problem with Craigslist is if you put Altec in as a search word a ton of computer speakers come up that you have to wade through... plus if someone just lists them as speakers with no name, I would probably miss those too....

    Anyway... let me know if you are selling some or see any for sale....

    THANKS!!

  7. #17
    Inactive Member scharron's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey CC,
    couple of empties on CL in chester Va, and a complete set in Williamsburg Va. Williamsburg might not be complete anymore, sounded like he wants them gone. not affiliated but might work out. good luck.
    williamsburg are 811 horns, but 511s are pretty easy to come buy, or trade for! good luck.
    scott in nc

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member
    VOT matching center channel? Anyone selling?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Dunno if you are still looking, but this has serious "funk factor".

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-A-7-VOICE-...QQcmdZViewItem

  9. #19
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scott in NC - thanks for looking out - I'll see if those are still around and take a look....

    OG - yeah, I saw this and am "watching" it on Ebay. I know I'll have to switch the horn out though as it is an 811. Any chance this uses the same driver as the 511?

    Also, is that the woofer that comes in most of the A7's? Or is there a standard for this?

    Lastly - what's with the opening in the bottom of the cabinet? Is that in fact an older version as mentioned by the lister, or did someone modify this cabinet? I wouldn't imagine it would be that hard to modify to make it match....

    I know you were just pointing this out, but I was planning on coming on here and asking these questions anyway, so thanks for the opportunity. forums

    I thought I'd found something here in Georgia on CL - but when I inquired about the pair of A7's the reply I got was: "these cabs are custom-made to Altec specs, and well-used. Sound great! have Altec 421 woofers, 511-size Peavey horns with atlas drivers. Summary: they look old, they sound great!"

    Which doesn't sound like it would be what I am looking for.... I asked him about the cabs and he just replied while I was typing this as a matter of fact and said they are made from 3/4" plywood and would be willing to just sell me the cabs. I am going to ask for pics and see what they look like - maybe post them here. The 421 Altec woofers - were these put in A7's?

    THANKS!!!

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 23, 2008 05:31 PM: Message edited by: ClassicComics ]</font>

  10. #20
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There were literally dozens of variations of what most folks refer to as A7s over the ~50 year production span. All that matters for your purpose of a matching center channel is the "matching" part, i.e. same cabinet configuration, horn, drivers, and XO as the ones you already have.

    The wait for a matching unit to appear locally could be a very long one. Most folks would just buy the right parts separately and "get 'er done". So the box has a different reflex port? No biggie, remove it an make another.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.